Irish Casemix Programme
The management of Casemix is the responsibility of the National Casemix Programme within the Health Service Executive. Each of the programmes below are described by clicking onto the links in each box.
Casemix Budget Modelling Section of the National Casemix Programme process the activity and cost data to produce the Annual Casemix Budget Model with its amended datasets which are used nationally for funding and general management purposes.
It is important to remember that the Casemix Inpatient Budget Model examines each individual case in the entire national file as follows:
- Assign it to an AR-DRG by examining all the Diagnoses and Procedures performed
- Examine all the cases in that AR-DRG for length-of-stay and establish a mean and a high-boundary
- Isolate the costs associated with treating those cases (i.e. the consultant costs)
- “Weight” the cases and
- Compare with the national cost per case
In simple terms, what the budget model does is:
- Identify each consultants cases and
- The costs associated in treating those cases and
- Amalgamate them for comparative purposes
- Compare them with similar cases elsewhere